January is typically a time of healthy living and the mantra “new year, new me”. However, by the end of the month, the realities of work and cold winter days can mean that your newly-bought gym kit is already collecting dust.
So, with many people struggling to achieve their New Year’s resolution, Pharmacy Outlet has created a list of our top five tips to the help you turn your January health kick into a long-lasting lifestyle change:
- Have patience: Changing your lifestyle won’t deliver immediate results. Thinking that going to the gym a few times will give you a six-pack or muscles like The Rock after just a few visits will leave you feeling disheartened. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day and to make notable differences to your health or body-shape will take time, so approach it as a long-term project.
- Make achievable goals: Don’t run before you can walk. By making small targets throughout the year, you will be able to track your progress and know if you are on track. For example, by slowly replacing cigarettes with Nicorette patches you can track how quickly you are to stop your addiction. The “cold turkey” approach rarely works, so try and build towards your goal – whether that’s kicking a habit or losing weight – in a manageable way.
- Make only one goal: Focusing on just one resolution will be more effective than spreading out your efforts on many different life changes. Focus on what is important to you, and only when you feel you have achieved it should you then turn your attention to the next area of potential improvement.
- Make it social: Relying on friends and family can give you that extra push to help you achieve your goals. If you are looking to go to the gym more then perhaps you could go with a friend before or after work. Alternatively, if you’re hoping to learn a new skill or take up a new hobby then joining classes can make the task less daunting and more fun.
5. Reward yourself: New Year’s resolutions are hard… we’ll say it again: don’t forget that they are a marathon and not a sprint. And throughout the year there will be peaks and troughs. So when you do achieve milestones then celebrate them and reward yourself for the hard work you’ve put in to get to that point. ‘All work no play’ is seldom a recipe for long lasting success!
At Pharmacy Outlet we have countless products on our site that can help you become a fitter, healthier person in 2018. So, if you’re embarking on a January health kick, have a look at some of the below items that could help you achieve your goals in the months ahead: